Feed aggregator

Police cracks mystery of ‘Salgro Areng’

Meghalaya Times - Tue, 2014-11-25 05:15

Staff Reporter
SHILLONG, Nov 24: Meghalaya has finally cracked the identity of the mysterious ‘Salgro Areng’ who has been posting threatening messages as well as instigating armed rebellion on his facebook page ‘Meg Pol V/s public’. Police has identified ‘Salgro Areng’ as Solly Ch. Sangma (31) of Nikwatgre Najing Bazar and Johny A Marak (21) of Tura both of whom are GNLA militants and lodged in Tura District Jail.
Police swung into action when Areng, on October 13 through the FB page, threatened to kill one of the Police Officers of East Khasi Hills District and his family as he is involved in operational duties. A Suo Moto case was taken up by the District Police and during investigation it was ascertained that the threat was uploaded from Tura District Jail.

Categories: News

CM hints possible reshuffle of Cabinet portfolios

Meghalaya Times - Tue, 2014-11-25 05:14

Staff Reporter
SHILLONG, Nov 24: Indicating that there may be a possible reshuffling of portfolios Chief Minister Dr Mukul Sangma on Monday said the All India Congress Committee (AICC) has also been briefed on the issue related to the resignation of the State Home Minister Roshan Warjri.
“We have apprised the AICC on the matter (resignation). Our system is such that we remain connected,” Dr Sangma, who just arrived from New Delhi, told reporters here on Monday.

Categories: News

NBCC engineer abducted by militants claiming to be from ANVC(B)

Meghalaya Times - Tue, 2014-11-25 05:14

Staff Reporter
TURA, Nov 24: An engineer of the National Building Construction Company (NBCC) was kidnapped early Saturday morning from near the Border Outpost (BOP) of Rongara in South Garo Hills (SGH) distrcit. The incident took place about 150 kms from the town of Tura.
Interestingly, according to the police, the abductors stated that they are part of the ANVC(B), which has already signed the tripartite peace pact with the central and state government. However, the veracity of the claims of the militants could not be ascertained.

Categories: News

Police cracks Class IX paper leak case

Meghalaya Times - Tue, 2014-11-25 05:13

Staff Reporter
TURA, Nov 24: Phulbari police personnel under the West Garo Hills (WGH) district have cracked the XI MBOSE question paper leak case after investigations pointed to the same being circulated by the son of one of the principals of a school in the plain belt of the district.
Police apprehended the son (name withheld) of the headmaster of the Bikkonggre HS School, Shahjamal Hazarika in this connection. The son of the headmaster is a class IX student of the Janapriya HS School in Bholarbitha.
Acting on a complaint of the Deputy Controller of Examinations of MBOSE, TR Laloo, the police began investigations into the leak.

Categories: News

Nigerian arrested in Rs 12 lakh duping case

Meghalaya Times - Tue, 2014-11-25 05:13

Staff Reporter
SHILLONG, Nov 24: A Nigerian national was arrested on Monday from the national capital by Meghalaya police after he duped a woman from Shillong of Rs 12 lakhs after befriending her through a social networking site.
“We have arrested Chazurike Uche Click from Tigri, T. Point, New Delhi,” East Khasi Hills (EKH) district Superintendent of Police (SP), M Kharkrang informed while adding that on November 6, police received an FIR from a lady of Mawlai Kynton Massar to the effect that she had been chatting with a Facebook friend, Eric Jack, who claimed to be a resident of the United Kingdom. During chatting, the friend promised her parcels containing valuables and some money.

Categories: News

No water for residents in spite of Rs 22 crore spent on housing project

Meghalaya Times - Tue, 2014-11-25 05:10

Staff Reporter
SHILLONG, Nov 24: In spite of a total amount of Rs 22 crores, the PHE department has not been able to provide water supply to the residents of a housing project at Mondoltilla, Tura.
This issue was brought to light by the independent legislator from Garo Hills, John Leslee K Sangma on Mondayduring the winter session of the Meghalaya Legislative Assembly.
“Even after spending Rs 22 crores, the PHE department has not been able to provide water supply to the residents of the housing project for the past two years,” Sangma informed the Assembly on Monday.
Sangma also pointed out that it is ironic that even after so much money has been spent, the residents of the housing project have to depend on a ring well for water supply.

Categories: News

Seng Kut Snem 2014

Meghalaya Times - Mon, 2014-11-24 04:05

Seng Kut Snem being celebrated in city on Sunday to mark the beginning of the renaissance and awakening of Khasi community.

 

Categories: News

Indian Catholics now have three native saints

Meghalaya Times - Mon, 2014-11-24 04:00

Vatican City/Thiruvananthapuram, Nov 23 (IANS): From now on Indian Catholics will have three native saints following the elevation of Kuriakose Elias Chavara, popularly known as Chavara Achen, and Sister Euphrasia, popularly known as Evuprasiamma, in a canonisation ceremony presided over by Pope Francis in the Vatican Sunday.
In 2008, Sister Alphonsa became the first native Indian to be canonized and she too belonged to the Syro Malabar Catholic Church, the same church to which the two new saints belong.
Ahead of the canonisation programme, Cardinal Mar George Alenchery of the Syro Malabar Catholic Church told the media here over phone from the Vatican City that to get two saints on one day is a historic blessing.
"Am so happy that God has blessed us all through this historic event and we have now two saints and that happened on a single day, so today is very special," he said.

Categories: News

UALA and ARF ready to come overground, seek Govt’s reply

Meghalaya Times - Mon, 2014-11-24 03:59

Staff Reporter
TURA Nov 23: The United Achik Liberation Army (UALA) has again sought the government’s answer to their offer of peace talks and being a part of the peace settlement. Stating that they have waited for more than 6 months for an answer, the outfit, along with the composite Achik Revolutionary Front (ARF), asked the government to answer as they were ready to come back to the mainstream.
“The government has already spent more than 6 months in the name of preparation for peace dialogue to our call for immediate response to the call for talks with all the Garo Hills based militant groups for a final solution in order to restore normalcy peace and harmony,” said the political secretary of the outfit, Rangdat Garo in a press comminique.

Categories: News

4 year old suffers from leukemia, family appeals for help

Meghalaya Times - Mon, 2014-11-24 03:55

Biplab Kr. Dey
TURA, Nov 23: Ayush Koch is your everyday 4 year old. He is effusive, moody, full of life and loves all the attention he gets, at home or at his school in Williamnagar, Sacred Heart. Ayush, the only son of his family and the apple of his whole joint family’s eye is just a little different from his friends – Ayush suffers from blood cancer or leukemia and needs all the help he can get to treat his cancer and recover.
The son of Kamal Mahanta and Antima Koch, Ayush was diagnosed with cancer after his parents ran from one hospital to another in the hope of finding out the reason for his persistent coughing.
Ayush’s father, who runs an auto repair shop in the town, broke down explaining the pain his son went through and the trials his family had to go through.

Categories: News

And it tumbles down

Meghalaya Times - Sun, 2014-11-23 04:25

Onlookers watching a car that skid off the road and turned turtle at a construction site near  Horse Shoe Building, Lachumiere.

 

Categories: News

My resignation not linked to ‘rifts’ within party: Roshan Warjri 

Meghalaya Times - Sun, 2014-11-23 04:16

Staff Reporter
SHILLONG, Nov 22: Even as the Chief Minister of Meghalaya Dr. Mukul Sangma is yet to accept her resignation,Meghalaya Home Minister, Roshan Warjri said on Saturday that her decision to quit the Cabinet has nothing to do with the alleged ‘rifts and the rumblings’ within the Congress party.
“My resignation has nothing to do with the dissidence in the Congress. No, not at all...,” Warjri said at the sidelinesof a function where the Chief Minister laid a foundation stone for the construction of the multifacility centre for Mawkhar on Saturday before setting off for New Delhi.

Categories: News

KHADC to demand withdrawal of Khasi as compulsory elective subject

Meghalaya Times - Sun, 2014-11-23 04:15

Staff Reporter
SHILLONG, Nov 22: The Khasi Hills Autonomous District Council (KHADC) will soon write to the Meghalaya Board of School Education (MBoSE) demanding the immediate withdrawal of the latter’s decision to make Khasi (MIL) a compulsory elective subject.
The decision to write to MBoSE came about after a meeting convened on Saturday by the KHADC which saw the participation of the heads of different traditional heads, social organizations, pressure groups and Khasi authorsbesides all the members of the District Council.

Categories: News

Overloaded taxis fined Rs 30800 this week

Meghalaya Times - Sun, 2014-11-23 04:14

Staff Reporter
SHILLONG, Nov 22: During the week, the Shillong Traffic Police has detained 118 local taxis including SPTS mini cabs and imposed fines amounting to a total of Rs. 30800.
In a press release the Shillong Traffic Police (STP) has notified that the overloading in local cabbies including SPTS mini cabs goes unchecked or unnoticed by the passengers.
STP hence has advised the general public that this unrestrained trend should be checked by them for their own convenience.
The Shillong Traffic Police has also said that traffic violations due to overloading must promptly be complained about to the traffic authorities.

 

Categories: News

Mukul unwilling but Warjri resolute on quitting ministry

Meghalaya Times - Sat, 2014-11-22 08:09

Staff Reporter
SHILLONG, Nov 21: Chief Minister Dr Mukul Sangma Friday admitted that Meghalaya Home Minister Roshan Warjri has tendered her resignation on Thursday night owning responsibility for the law and order crisis in the Garo Hills region. But her resignation is yet to be accepted, Dr Sangma told the House on the first day of the six day-long Winter Session here.
“It is a fact that Home Minister has tendered her resignation letter. I tried to prevail on her to continue in her office but I have not accepted her resignation letter,” Dr Sangma said when Opposition Meghalaya People’s Front (MPF) questioned the reason for her relinquishing her post.
Dr. Sangma also said that he would prefer it if Warjri keeps her place in the Cabinet while adding, “I will talk to her (again) and I will try to convince her to continue as the Home Minister since she is one of the most dedicated and committed cabinet colleagues.”

Categories: News

No Question Hour, MPF concerned over short session

Meghalaya Times - Sat, 2014-11-22 08:09

Staff Reporter
SHILLONG, Nov 21: In a rare event, there was no Question Hour on the first day of the Winter Session of Meghalaya Legislative Assembly here on Friday. The opposition remained silent even after the Assembly session started.
On being asked, Speaker AT Mondal said that this is not the first time that the assembly has not taken up a Question Hour during the first day of the session, adding that to include or exclude this depends on the consent of the BAC.
“It is a fact that the first hour of the sitting has always been devoted to questions. But in the past too, the question hour was not taken up on the first day of the session,” Mondal said, adding that the BAC always made the list of business that should be taken up in the House for the session.

Categories: News

Tackling influx: Land acquisition for ‘entry and exit points’ to commence soon

Meghalaya Times - Sat, 2014-11-22 08:08

Staff Reporter
SHILLONG, Nov 21: Meghalaya Chief Minister Dr. Mukul Sangma Friday informed that the committee headed by Deputy Chief Minister Rowell Lyngdoh has been directed to complete its recommendations within one month and to start the land acquisition process for developing the already identified ‘entry and exit’ points to address the issue of influx and illegal immigration.
“We have agreed to give more time to the committee to complete its exercise within one month,” Dr Sangma said after a meeting with the 13 NGOs demanding a comprehensive mechanism to address issue of influx.
Dr. Sangma also informed that Lyngdoh has pointed out the need to further engage with the District Councils and the traditional institutions with regard to this matter as it is appropriate that traditional institutions should also be involved in the process so that the ensuing draft finalized is in the best interest of the people.

Categories: News

Langsning through to SPL final

Shillong Times - Fri, 2014-11-21 11:20

SHILLONG: Samson scored twice in a span of less than four minutes to buy Langsning a ticket to the finals of the Imperial Blue Shillong Premiere League at the JN Stadium here on Thursday.

Samson’s heroics made sure that Shillong Lajong Junior Boys, who went down 0-2, have to play the winner of the match between Rangdajied United and Royal Wahingdoh to secure a place in the final.

Samson’s speed and agility proved effective as the Reds’ fairly young line up struggled to come to terms against the experienced Langsning side. Samson struck in the 42nd minute and followed it up with another shot at the nets in the 45th minute.

The second half was less exciting and although Lajong created a few scoring opportunities, Langsning held on to the two-goal lead till the end.

On Friday, Royal Wahingdoh and Rangdajied United play in the second semi final at 1:45 pm.

Categories: News

Bianchi out of coma

Shillong Times - Fri, 2014-11-21 11:20

Nice (France): Formula One driver Jules Bianchi has been brought out of an artificial coma and arrived back in France on Wednesday nearly seven weeks after his near-fatal crash at the Japanese Grand Prix.

The 25-year-old Frenchman’s family said in a statement that the Marussia driver was still listed as “critical” and that he could remain in a serious way for a long time.

They said they were delighted that he has stabilised enough to be flown to a hospital in Nice, near the family home. Bianchi, who crashed into a recovery vehicle on the rain-drenched Suzuka track on October 5, was flown back to France on Wednesday. (AFP)

Categories: News

Ferrari sign Vettel, underline world title aims

Shillong Times - Fri, 2014-11-21 11:19

Milan: Fallen Italian giants Ferrari relaunched their Formula One world title ambitions by confirming Sebastian Vettel on a three-year deal today that will see the German team up with Kimi Raikkonen from next year.

Ferrari’s announcement came minutes after confirmation of Fernando Alonso’s departure from the team after a five-year spell in which the Spaniard ultimately failed to deliver a world championship title.

The last time the ‘Scuderia’ topped the drivers’ standings was in 2007 when Raikkonen, in his previous spell with the team, triumphed before quitting the sport to test his Qskills in rallying.

Since then, the ‘Prancing Horse’ and the iconic red Ferrari cars have been playing catch-up to the Renault engines that have fired Red Bull and Vettel to four consecutive titles in the drivers’ and constructors’ standings.

German Vettel is regarded as the heir to stricken compatriot Michael Schumacher, who won five of his seven world titles with Ferrari.

Vettel currently sits fourth in the drivers’ standings, 158 points behind Britain’s Lewis Hamilton ahead of the final race of the season at Abu Dhabi.

Ferrari team principal Marco Mattiacci believes Vettel’s “youthfulness and experience” will make him an “invaluable asset” to the team as they look to end their seven-year title wait.

“Scuderia Ferrari has decided to put its faith in the youngest multiple champion in the history of Formula One,” Mattiacci said.

“In Formula One terms, Sebastian Vettel is a unique combination of youthfulness and experience and he brings with him that sense of team spirit which will prove invaluable when, together with Kimi, they tackle the challenges awaiting us, as we aim to be front runners again as soon as possible.”

Vettel, who has won four consecutive world titles in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013, said he was delighted to be given the chance to emulate his “greatest idol” Schumacher.

“The next stage of my Formula 1 career will be spent with Scuderia Ferrari and for me that means the dream of a lifetime has come true,” said Vettel.

“When I was a kid, Michael Schumacher in the red car was my greatest idol and now it’s an incredible honour to finally get the chance to drive a Ferrari.

“The Scuderia has a great tradition in this sport and I am extremely motivated to help the team get back to the top. I will put my heart and soul into making it happen.”

Schumacher, 45, who raced for Ferrari between 1996 and 2006, is currently receiving treatment at his home in Gland, Switzerland, after suffering severe brain injuries in a skiing accident in the French Alps last December.

Alonso, meanwhile, is being tipped with a return to the McLaren team after leaving Ferrari by “mutual consent”, according to a team statement.

“Fernando Alonso leaves the team at the end of this season, after a five year period which, with one race remaining, saw him score 1186 points, 44 podiums and 11 wins.

“Everyone at Scuderia Ferrari thanks Fernando for his great contribution on both a personal and professional level.”

Alonso, who won two world titles with Renault in 2005 and 2006, admitted leaving Ferrari was not an easy decision to make.

Alonso said: “It was a difficult decision to take, but a carefully considered one and from start to finish, my love for Ferrari was a prime consideration.

“I leave Scuderia Ferrari after five years, during which I reached my very best level professionally, tackling major challenges that pushed me to find new limits.

“I am very proud of what we have achieved together. Now I look to the future with great enthusiasm, knowing that part of my heart will always belong to the Prancing Horse.” (AFP)

Categories: News
Syndicate content
© Shillong.com. All rights reserved. All inquiries: sam@shillong.com.