SHILLONG, Jan 24: A consultative meeting convened by the Hynniewtrep Youth Council (HYC) with the several headmen on Saturday made a number of suggestions which they opine need to be incorporated in the Khasi Hills District (Village Administration) Bill, 2014, passed by the Khasi Hills Autonomous District Council (KHADC) last year.
Addressing pressmen after the meeting, HYC general secretary Robertjune Kharjahrin said, “There are various discrepancies found in the Council’s Bill which needs to be looked into by the KHADC.”
SHILLONG, Jan 24: The proscribed Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) on Saturday has upheld its call for a 24 – hour ‘total shutdown’ throughout the Khasi – Jaintia hills as a mark of its protest against the celebration of Republic Day even as it termed the Saraswati Puja on the day as a ‘co-incidence’.
In a press communiqué issued on Saturday, the Publicity Secretary of the HNLC, Sainkupar Nongtraw clarified that the HNLC will not disrupt any kind of religious ceremony while terming the Saraswati puja observed on January 26 as ‘a co incidence’.
Nongtraw also pointed out that the state of Assam, being a Hindu majority state will also witness republic day boycott including other NE states.
SHILLONG, Jan 24: The proscribed Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) on Saturday accused the Government of Meghalaya (GOM) of playing ‘a game of hide and seek’ with regard to the negations for peace with the outfit.
In a press communiqué issued on Saturday, the Publicity Secretary of the HNLC, Sainkupar Nongtraw, said that the HNLC had time and again reminded the GOM about the proposed peace process. Nongtraw said that since the month of August 2014 the Chief Minister, Dr. Mukul Sangma had laid emphasis to call militant groups to the negotiation table thereby giving peace a chance, Nongtraw said that when the HNLC expressed its willingness to cooperate, statements were issued that the GOM would appoint an interlocutor to carry forward the process. He however lamented that after all this has been done, “Now the CM comes up with statements that only surrender is an option.”
SHILLONG, Jan 23: Four days ahead of his appearance before the Meghalaya High Court, the Chief Executive Member (CEM) of the Khasi Hills Autonomous District Council (KHADC) Adelbert Nongrum on Friday said he is ready apologize before the judiciary and appealed to the public to refrain from any violence while urging them to respect the law.
In a statement issued here on Friday, Nongrum said, “I am willing and ready to even tender my apology if there are words that have might slipped from my side, which might have also hurt the judiciary.”
He also maintained that he will speak on the truth on the day of his appearance before the Court.
SHILLONG, Jan 23: A meeting convened by the Syiem of Hima Khyrim, Dr Balajied Sing Syiem on Friday at the Office Syiem Hima Khyrim, Smit to deliberate on the recent observations and orders of the Meghalaya High Court has decided to appeal to the Division Bench of the Meghalaya High Court to seek relief from the orders of the single bench of the High Court pending necessary legislation by the Government and the District Councils for the respective Hima.
GUWAHATI, Jan 23 (IANS): Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Friday reconstituted his ministry by inducting 14 new ministers.
Governor P.B. Acharya administered the oath of office and secrecy to the ministers; 11 cabinet ministers and 3 ministers of state (Independent charge).
The cabinet ministers are Bhumidhar Barman, Sarat Barkataky, Ajanta Neog, Nazrul Islam, Rakibul Hussain, Chandan Kumar Sarkar, Khor Sing Engti, Sukur Ali, Ajit Singh, Basanta Das and Atuwa Munda.
SHILLONG: Fourteen-year-old Stevenson Lawryngiang of Meghalaya has been selected for the National Bravery Award, 2014 for saving the life of a nine-year-old boy on July 4 2013.
A resident of Pungsaniang village near Mairang, West Khasi Hills, Lawryngiang is among the 24 brave hearts who have been invited to Delhi where Prime Minister Narendra Modi will present the awards on the eve of Republic Day.
The children will then take part in the Republic Day Parade.
Eight girls and 16 boys have been selected for this year’s National Bravery Awards. Four of the awards have been given posthumously.
Stevenson, a student of Lawphiah Presbyterian School and son of Dias Kharsyntiew, has been selected for the award for saving the life one Calvin Stone Basaiawmoit of Tihbah village near Langtor.
Recalling the incident, a relative of the boy while speaking over telephone from Delhi said that Stevenson while returning from school saw three boys shouting for help to save the life of Calvin, who got drowned while swimming in a pond.
“He (Stevenson) took off his school uniform and jumped into the pond. He managed to pull Calvin out of the pond,” he said.
It may be mentioned that the National Bravery awards were initiated in 1957 by the Indian Council for Child Welfare (ICCW).
President Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday met the 20 children, who would be conferred this year’s National Bravery Award, at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
‘Bharat Award’, the highest of the National Bravery Awards, winner Resham Fatima from Uttar Pradesh was among those awardees who met Mukherjee.
The President spent time with the children listening to them besides posing with them for a photograph.
This year’s Geeta Chopra Award has been given to Gunjan Sharma from Assam.
16-year-old Devesh Kumar of Uttar Pradesh was selected for Sanjay Chopra award as he had displayed outstanding courage while confronting two chain-snatchers.
Davos: Wooing global investors, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on Thursday hinted at rationalising subsidies on kerosene and cooking gas, rebuilding credibility of taxation structure and calling a joint session of Parliament to get the insurance Bill passed if it is not cleared in the coming session.
Laying the fiscal road map ahead of his first full- fledged Budget, he sought to assure investors at the ongoing World Economic Forum (WEF) that subsidies will not be completely eliminated but only rationalised to cut expenditure.
Speaking at two back-to-back events on the second day of his arrival here, Jaitley touched a variety of subjects ranging from the challenges facing the government, the need to make it easier to do business in India and to India’s relations with the US and Russia.
“As far as LPG is concerned, the first subsidy reform has started this month. From January 1, all subsidies with regards to cooking gas, now goes directly to bank accounts….
“Next stage, we have to carve out families who are not entitled… Kerosene is used both as fuel and also in dark areas in India. But kerosene is also being misused in many areas. So the next area we intend tackling is kerosene,” he added.
“Elimination of subsidies in India, a country where one-third of people are still living in poverty conditions, is not possible, its not even desirable… But we have to rationalise our subsidies,” he said. He was speaking to investors at a breakfast meeting. (PTI)
TURA: Angered by its chairman Champion R Sangma’s sudden resignation terming it nothing less of a betrayal to its armed struggle, the banned GNLA outfit has returned its salvo by revealing that its former leader regularly communicated with the outside world through the use of a cell phone which he reportedly kept hidden inside a television set.
The outfit goes on to reveal that Champion continues to have access to mobile phones inside the jail premises.
“We have come to know from reliable sources that Champion Sangma is still using a mobile phone inside the jail which is kept hidden inside the television set. Sometimes he hides it inside a novel which he is fond of reading,” the GNLA said in a statement issued by its joint publicity secretary Garo Mandei Ch Marak on Thursday said.
“If the intelligence wings of the Police force can tap the phones being used by other militants why has the Police turned a blind eye as far as Champion is concerned despite the issue coming out in many newspapers in the past? Is this kind of facility also available to other militant leaders in the Delhi Central Jail? Or are the top Police Officers deliberately allowing him to use mobile phones,” questioned the militant group. It may be mentioned that Champion’s access to mobile phones had made headlines in the media way back in June, 2013. However, jail authorities had at the time chose to remain skeptical and a search of his cell also failed to turn up anything.
SHILLONG: In view of the upcoming contempt of court proceeding against KHADC chief Adelbert Nongrum, scheduled to take place on January 27, the East Khasi Hills administration has promulgated Section 144 CrPC prohibiting assembly of five or more persons within 500 metres radius of the Meghalaya High Court.
The official order, which came into force with immediate effect, also prohibits carrying of arms and any other lethal weapons or any other items/material “having the potential to be used as a weapon which is likely cause grievous injury of harm to any person or persons.”
The official notification issued on Thursday said that the district administration clamped the order after receiving information that a large number of Nongrum’s supporters including women would assemble on the court premises on the day of hearing, which might create a serious law and order problem.
Earlier, the KSU and HYC had decided to accompany the KHADC chief during the hearing.
It may be mentioned here that the High Court of Meghalaya recently registered a case against Nongrum for allegedly making derogatory and defamatory statement against a judge of the court.
Justice SR Sen directed the Registrar General of the Court to register a complaint against Nongrum for allegedly trying to lower the image of the Judiciary and throwing an open challenge to the Judiciary.
The High Court has decided to register the case on the basis of reports which appeared in a section of the local English dailies.
JOWAI: In a freak incident, an under trial prisoner (UTP), Deimon Dhar of Kyndong Tuber, on Thursday escaped from Shillong Civil Hospital.
Confirming the incident, West Jaintia Hills district police chief Herbert G Lyngdoh said that the UTP, a murder accused, complained of sudden illness on Thursday morning and subsequently he was taken to Shillong Civil Hospital with police escort.
However, on reaching the hospital, he escaped hoodwinking two police personnel on duty. Meanwhile, two police personnel — C Syngkon and L Pasi (both constables) – have been put under suspension. A hunt was launched for the fugitive and the Addition Superintendent of police of the district has been directed to conduct an inquiry.
Ranikor: The strength of Northeastern insurgent groups taking shelter in neighbouring Bangladesh has come down drastically and now the militant outfits have camps in only 39 locations in Bangladesh.
Informing this, BSF’s Meghalaya Frontier IG Sudesh Kumar on Thursday said that the outfits now do not have any well-mechanized training camps but instead they have set up small sheds from where the insurgents usually operate.
“The list of the locations of the camps has been shared with Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB),” he said.
Stating that the various militant outfits of the region had their base in Bangladesh in the past, Sudesh Kumar said that the Bangladeshi Government is now cooperating with BSF to find out such camps.
He also said that the BSF from time to time keep on sharing the intelligence inputs with Bangladeshi counterpart.
The statement of BSF IG indicates that the North East-based militant outfits which once used Bangladesh as their shelter are now losing their ground in that country.
SHILLONG: The proscribed HNLC has issued the customary Republic Day boycott call by calling a 24-hour shut down.
The 24-hour shutdown will be effective from 5 pm of January 25 till 5 pm of January 26 in the whole of Khasi and Jaintia Hills region, the outfit’s publicity secretary Sainkupar Nongtraw said in a statement on Thursday.
The Church-goers, milkmen, media persons and patients have been exempted from the purview of the bandh.
Kolkata: Amid speculation that cricketer Sourav Ganguly is joining BJP, the former Indian captain on Thursday refused to make any comments while the party said there is no truth in it.
“No comments,” was his terse reply when Ganguly was asked by reporters whether he was joining BJP. “I am not aware of what Mr Harsh Goenka has tweeted. You please ask him. I have utmost respect for our Prime Minister Mr Narendra Modi,” Ganguly told reporters here.
Harsh Goenka, chairman of RPG Enterprises, had tweeted yesterday, “Saurav Ganguly to join BJP. Big coup for the party in West Bengal. #Dada vs Didi.”
BJP National Secretary Siddharth Nath Singh told PTI there was no truth in it. “There is no truth in the tweet of an industrialist stating that Sourav Ganguly is joining. However, we have great respect and regard for former captain of Indian cricket team. Few of our leaders also enjoy a very good relationship with him,” he said.
Meanwhile, Union Minister of State for Urban Development Babul Supriyo said if Ganguly joins it would be a big boost for the party in the state. “He (Ganguly) is an icon of Bengal. If he comes then it will be a big boost for us in West Bengal. We have spoken about this before too,” he told reporters here.
When asked to comment on the tweet, the BJP leader said, “I dont know. There was a talk about Sourav Ganguly joining BJP earlier.”
Modi had last year nominated Sourav Ganguly along with many other personalities in his Swachh Bharat Abhiyan project. (PTI)
SHILLONG: The Union Government has sanctioned a Border Haat at Nalikata along the Indo-Bangla border near Balat in West Khasi Hills District.
Addressing a civic action programme at Ranikor on Thursday, BSF Meghalaya Frontier IG Sudesh Kumar informed that the Border Haat at Nalikata would start functioning as soon as the infrastructure is ready.
He further informed that a team from the Ministry of Home Affairs recently conducted a survey for a proposed bridge at river Jadukota and the sanction is likely to be made in a few months’ time.
It may be mentioned that the BSF had forwarded a proposal of Rs.100 crore for the proposed bridge.
The BSF IG also asked the local youths of Ranikor to take part in the special recruitment drive for the youths of border area which would begin shortly even as he informed that the BSF had conducted special drives earlier in the border areas of Meghalaya and over 150 youths have completed their training and have become a part of the force. While admitting that connectivity along the border areas is a major concern, he said that the Government has conducted survey and very soon repair works will be undertaken to improve road connectivity in the border areas.
The BSF organized the civic action programme and also conducted a free medical camp at Mawehnnlleen village near Gumaghat on Thursday.
Over 1200 people from different villages participated in the programme. Medicines were distributed to about 250 patients by the BSF medical officers and civilian doctors.
Sports items, hygiene materials, white boards for schools, chairs for women’s associations and torchlight for VDP members etc., were distributed during the programme. A football match between the girls’ teams of Mawehnnlleen and Nalikata village was also organized.
SHILLONG, Jan 22: A twenty-four hour ‘total-shutdown’ has been called by the proscribed Khasi rebel outfit, the Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) to protest against the national Republic Day celebration.
Announcing this in a press communiqué issued here on Thursday, HNLC publicity secretary Sainkupar Nongtraw informed that the bandh will be effective from 6 pm of January 25 to 6 pm of January 26 in the Khasi-Jaintia Hills region as a mark of boycotting the celebration in the state.
“We strongly protest the Republic Day as a celebration within our jurisdiction as ‘illegal’,” Nongtraw said.
“We don’t want anything from the Government of India in respect to its states or its land but we are demanding our ‘right to self existence’ which the Centre has to return to our nation,” he added.
TURA, Jan 22: The former self-styled chairman of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) Champion Sangma is in the line of fire from the cadre of the outfit who have come out openly against him.
In a pres communiqué issued on Thursday, the outfit has lashed out at Champion alleging that he has close association with police and politicians of the state.
The outfit has also alleged that Champion, a former Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) continues to have access to a mobile phone even though he is serving time in jail.
SHILLONG, Jan 21: Speaking at the celebration of the 43rd Statehood Day of Meghalaya held in U Soso Tham Auditorium, Meghalaya Chief Minister, Dr. Mukul Sangma said, “Destination Meghalaya is our agenda and when we focus on the three important sectors of Education, Health care and Hospitality, we need to have that kind of infrastructure which can attract this kind of destination.”
“As the state moves forward, we should be able to take care of our challenges in providing health care and education, the problem of unemployment and the challenges of employability and when we focus on promoting the state as a destination for these crucial sectors and hospitality, everything else will fall in line,” he said.
New Delhi, Jan 21 (IANS): A 35-year old man from Jodhpur, who had symptoms similar to those of Ebola virus disease, died Wednesday at the AIIMS hospital, officials said.
The final report will confirm the disease the patient was suffering from, the officials said.
The man was referred to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) from a private hospital in Jodhpur, Rajasthan, and was admitted to the department of medicine in a critical condition Tuesday evening.